View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 07:34 AM   #53
Beach-Burban

Re: Temp Gauge issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom10nut View Post
Well, after researchIng the sending units that are supposed to be the “Right” one, I ordered one from Auto Wire (on the Suggestion of another board member), and when I opened it, I noticed that it has no Teflon thread sealant on it like the last two that I’ve tried.
I read in one response, that the sender shouldn’t have any sealer on it in order to work correctly, and this makes perfect sense. What does not make sense is why would Delco and other companies put the Teflon on their senders?
I haven’t had a chance to put my new sender in yet, but I’ll let y’all know how it works out.
custom10nut...I read the same thing, but I also read that as it's NPT, the threads cut through the Teflon and make contact anyway??? The one I removed didn't have any Teflon on it so I didn't put any on the Auto Wire one either...and just made sure that it was tight enough to not leak. Two things I've heard through the years about Teflon when it comes to water tight fittings: First, Teflon is not a sealant...it's main purpose is to act like a lubricant? Second, if something leaks even with Teflon, just give it time and minerals and such will collect at the leak...sealing itself. Although personally I have found both of these to be true, I have zero "insider knowledge" that guarantees that either of these statements are 100%.

I hope you get the results that you are looking for...I'm still trying to figure out what my results are telling me!?!?

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote