View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #50
Ironangel

Re: 78 Suburban surging then dies on long grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAK View Post
Hi, guys.

Fuel filter finally came in. But without a check valve. Whatever... I put it in. And haven't been able to recreate the bogging. But I'm still nervous that I didn't get it. Could this really have been just a dirty filter and soft fuel hose? Were the two enough to starve the Quadrajet when it was really sucking gas?
The short answer is "YES!"...If we're talking about the tiny filter in the carb inlet then absolutely yes! Once more, a new replacement can clog up in short order if crap in the tank has busted loose for whatever reason. I had to change three one after another getting my second 72 home. They were getting clogged with fine sand that had settled in the tank over the years after sitting parked on a ranch in western Nebraska, probably without a gas cap on I suspect. It wasn't until I added an inline canister filter before the carb that the bogging and dying issue went away to this day. Those tiny filters are great on new clean systems but are overwhelmed when you throw 50 years of dirt at them. Secondly, after reading about the ignition modules...They are indeed very heat sensitive! They use an epoxy matrix to seal the tiny electronics within and a hairline crack undetectable to the eye can break the circuit killing the motor until it cools down enough to close the circuit again allowing the restart. Those modules don't seal down with silicone, they seal down with a heat sinking paste that helps them sink the heat into the dizzy base. It is critical that that paste be used! Surfaces must be cleaned so a good heat transfer can take place. That's all I have to throw in...Good luck!
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote