View Single Post
Old 08-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #68
RyanAK

Re: 78 Suburban surging then dies on long grade

Alright, fellas. For any of you still reading this saga, thanks for sticking around!

Rebuilt the carb with Cliff's kit - my first solo rebuild. Went very well. This thing was pretty damn clean inside. Just a few issues that I ran into...

As a reminder - 4MV 17058213 on a '78 Suburban, 350 GM 190hp crate, TH350, NP203, 3.73 gears, stock, stock, stock.

This 4MV doesn't have an "Idle Vent Valve" as shown on the instruction sheet. Not sure if this is an issue... What the heck is it?

Also... the "Idle Compensator" on the back of the carb is missing. Ditto... what the heck is it?

I didn't get the APT screw exposed because I wanted to get this buttoned up... but I will eventually do that.

Also didn't replace the Secondary Air Valve Cam because I wasn't sure how to remove the staked screws on the air valve shaft without buggering something up.

As I said, this unit pretty clean and everything seemed to be correct. The accelerator pump didn't have the skirt spring in it, and the Secondary Air Valve tension spring was a bit loose, but everything seemed "right" otherwise.

Some specs that are a mystery to me and I could use some input on:
Primary Rods - 40B
Jets - 64C
Power Piston - arms level and even, Cliff's orange spring
Secondary Rods - DP
Hanger - C
N/S - Cliff's .135" non-window, no clip on needle
Accelerator Pump - Cliff's
Float - was A67, now Cliff's A61 set to stock 15/32"
All linkage adjustments in spec.

Need to re-tune idle rpms, idle f/a mixture, etc. Now that the carb isn't an issue, I can go back through my timing. I had it slightly retarded to 8* initial to limit the pinging that apparently was my carb going lean from fuel starvation and not a detonation issue.

It was fun! My only worry for future rebuilds now is that Cliff will retire and the good parts won't be around!

All that said... the carb rebuild didn't fix my issue. Same starvation/chug when under load.

What DID fix my issue after everything I went through... was replacing the 2-month-old NAPA fuel pump! Ordered in a Delphi unit from NAPA and after some struggles getting the fuel line flare to seat on the pump and not leak, I have fuel pressure and flow to the carb. The NAPA pump fell apart in my hands when I pulled it off the block. Spring fell out, lever fell out, and there was a black rubber seal of some sort chewed up and jammed near the pump piston. UGH!!

New Delphi pump... pressure seems a bit high, but no flooding yet and no starved condition. At hard acceleration I was getting <2psi out of the NAPA pump. Now at WOT it holds a steady at 6psi with the new Delphi pump. Only thing that makes me nervous is at idle and cruise the pressure can be 10psi or a smidge higher. Am I looking at trouble with that pressure and this particular pump? As I said, zero issues so far. And no starvation/stumble/chug.

Appreciate any further comments on the pump pressure or the way the carb is set up. I learned a lot and had fun doing it!

Meet 'Earl', '71 C10 Suburban - Sold, but not forgotten...

Meet... yet to be named, ‘78 K10 Suburban Daily Driver
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote