View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Drive shaft questions

I'll pull it, clean it, and paint it. If the u-joint has no play I wouldn't replace it. If it's been lubed properly it should not have worn out. Best way to check is truck in gear, take a big screwdriver slip it through the yoke ears, and pry in the direction of rotation. There should be no slop, no clank from that area. The rear (differential) will have a little movement. I would also check the pinion yoke for movement in the housing (up/down/side to side). If you want to replace u-joints anyway, get a greaseable Spicer and replace it before the paint. I've always done my own, very easy to do. Same with the carrier bearing, before disassembly check the bushing and bearing for excessive movement. The bushing will allow some, but you'll know sloppy when you see it. I bought a N.O.S. one for the '70 CST/30 Custom Camper I had but the original was fine. I have since sold that.

If you don't see any dings or dents I doubt the shaft is bent. Unless it looks like it spun wear marks in itself (gouges) on something. Certainly, if you are having the u-joints replaced by a professional, have the alignment checked. Actually, it's the balance that matters most.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote