View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 11:47 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

Re: Derecho Out Of Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72supr View Post
Crap happens.Always has always will.Sixty mile an hour wind here but no damage.Never heard it called Derecho we always called it the damn wind.Gonna be tough going for the people affected for sure.Combining that corn is going to be painstakingly slow if at all possible .If you make your living from the the land you always say next year will be better.
That's what I said when I first heard the word Derecho when we had ours. I thought, "They have to come up with a name for everything these days". But I looked it up and the name was coined by meteorologists in the 1800s when they learned about this specific phenomenon. They are as unique to themselves as a tornado or hurricane with characteristics all their own.

And things are certainly changing in the earth's weather patterns. We are seeing things, at least more often, happening that we never or rarely saw happening more often. More extremes in weather and weather events certain areas are known for occurring in areas we in our time seemed exempt from.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote