View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 04:00 PM   #49
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: 1940 Ford Deluxe 2 Door Sedan Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Still looking great! Might be time to take it for a drive and refuel those building juices!
Yeah, I wish I could take it for a drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAULIN' IT View Post
Ryan, Great back story on the car! There is a couple things I noticed in the last photos you posted that concern me so I thought Id take a few minutes to explain what I see. First, The in-board mounts on the axle should have the bolts parallel to the ground (like you had them on the 8.8 rear). The way the are now, all of the motion as the suspension travel happens, has to be in the front mounts...rotating the pinion toward the ground as the vehicle hits a bump & shoving it up/back on re-bound...defeating the benefit of the 4 link design of keeping the housing/pinion very close to level throughout the travel. Also the rod ends are going to try to rotate on the threads as the suspension goes through its travel in an effort to minimize the binding. If you loosen the jamb nuts, mark the tubes & ends, then move the suspension up & down...you will see this. The problem here is that it will be trying to loosen/tighten one end or the other on every bump. The bolts on the housing should be set up parallel with the front ones (from an aerial view & behind) so the bolts are "axles" for all of the rod ends.

Is that rear out of one of those early '60's stub-nose Econoline vans or something with the pinion a couple inches off to the Rt. when the wheel flanges are centered under the car? Lorne
Lorne, thanks for the input. I wondered about that when I put the tabs on this housing. I saw others done similar so I figured it would be alright. I will fix this soon. I believe the rear end is out of an early ford bronco. 69-77 era. I thought about having a housing modified for this car but I don't have a lot of budget for this car currently so I decided to just use it and get the car together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
Nice progress Ryan!
Thanks Robert.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote