View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 10:51 PM   #1120
Short 3/4

Re: Post your 60-66 craigslist finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilEGR View Post
Overall plan is to retain as much of the originality as possible.

Immediate items:
Reattach the speedometer cable to the transmission (Going to need to find some info on this)
Replace one busted brake line
Ditch the split ring tires and replace with some 8 lug steel rims I have laying around, then maybe 235/85R16 tires to keep the tall skinny look.
Order some new front fenders
Send it out to get replacement rockers/inner and outer/can corners/inside kick panels
Send it out to weld up and repair the cab mounts on all corners
Try to get any patch panels painted close to the current matte red/orange color

Then drive it and show it off as much as possible.
That's a great truck you found. Glad you plan to keep it original, its a rare bird as they just didn't make many K20's in that era, and most got worked to death and put out to pasture years ago. It's even got my favorite engine, the 292.
235/85R16's on steel rims are what I run on mine. They look good and perform well. Just be careful as some steel 16's have rivets that will bind against the drums and warp them ever so slightly and cause no end of impossible to figure out brake problems (ask me how I know!) You don't want to mess up those front drums, as they are very hard to replace. The good news is when dialed in right those big 12" drums do a real good job, even if like me you overload that thing and make it work for a living like God intended it to do.
The speedo cable actually goes to the xfer case, but if you can't find the correct longer length cable, you can attach it to the trans like in a 2wd, it just won't read right in 4low.
Have fun with your new toy.
Tom
NoSpin HO72 4.10 rear
Short 3/4 is offline   Reply With Quote