View Single Post
Old 08-25-2020, 10:03 PM   #19
SCOTI

Re: Spindle Tie Rod End Inserts

So, today I started on the 'drilling' for an insert. This is a jacked-up deal. You can't get the spindle ALIGNED & CLAMPED in a press (well, @ least in our drill press) to allow a nice straight motion.

So, I tried drilling w/it in place on the chassis. I used a ratchet strap for locking it in one spot & preventing it from moving.
I used a uni-bit to start the process as the steps allowed the appropriate size bit some depth to start things off.
I also used the uni-bit from the bottom side to remove as much extra material as possible because the 3/4 & 7/8 bits are no joke.

I worked as slow as possible to keep the bits cool. Constantly dipped them in cutting fluid during the process. I tried the 1/2 drill but found my 18v offered the best speed control. It drilled ok, but not 'good'.

The bits bite way too much which pulled the cutting. When it was done, the top of the hole def had wiggle vs the bottom portion (this was why I wanted to use the drill press). I purchased some 'over-sized' press-fit bushings & although the one I did required me to use the hydraulic press to seat it flush, I don't like the fact it had play near the top when only partially in.

I re-grouped & went back to try the drill press again for the 2nd one. Not happening. I guess tomorrow I'll see if I can rig things up on a shop table & use a magnetic base drill press we have (our maint group has it somewhere in the building & I'll have to get w/the day shift guys to find it's location).
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote