View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 09:27 PM   #31
Pvmt-Pndr

Re: New to me engine

Geezer :
Everything internally is original to the "new" motor. After measuring the bores, doing a compression test and seeing what looked like a fresh machined engine I figured all was probably well.
I'll swap the vacuum line over and see what happens. 12 degrees sounds like a lot for a tall deck from what I've read. Then again I don't claim to be an engine builder but I know my way around them enough to be dangerous.

Vince:
I tried one way I found on the internet and it was a fail adjusting the valves. I tried it twice actually. I ended up doing it another way and it's been running somewhat good. That's why I was pointing toward the HEI since I have lots of time to troubleshoot while I'm at work. I haven't verified the plugs and wires are still good. I assumed they are since they have roughly 3 total hours of run time on them mostly at idle.

I don't know if it'll help trouble shooting but the truck will rev faster in the lower gears. Keep in mind I have a 5 speed with a 2 speed rear end. 5H is 1:1. 1,2 and 3rd gear it revs pretty decent. Once I hit 4th and 5th gear she falls on her face. I just assume the power loss isn't as noticeable because the gearing helps cover it up. I can't imagine 50 years ago guys using this same engine to pull 30-80k pounds at least not the way mine feels to me.

I haven't been able to put it to use quite yet. I work a lot and have been chipping away at things when I have spare time. I will have it plated this coming spring but while it's still warm out I'd like to resolve the issues it has. Once it's all worked out I'll move onto making it the truck I want it to be cosmetically.

I appreciate all the help!!
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote