View Single Post
Old 08-29-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
cj847

Re: Re Restoration 71 C10

I started this thread to highlight some issues that we all have with old vehicles. The first thing we want to do is the big stuff that makes a difference in looks or performance.
This truck was driven over 50 miles to my house without issue......so, let the modifications begin. Well, not so fast. An in depth inspections shows:

-The tires have tons of tread but are over 10 years old.
-No neutral safety switch.
-Brake hoses look cracked and tired.
-There is a massive oil leak underneath (more on that later).
-The passenger header is pushed against the starter. I can't even wedge DEI header tape between.
-The exhaust sounds great but is some kind of weird. Out of the header it goes outside the framerail all the way to the back. (That is what likely pushed the headers into the starter).
-driver window regulator is bad.
-Headlights don't work.
-Turn signals don't cancel.
-No coolant overflow tank.
-No windshield washers.
-The A/C Compressor and condenser were missing.
-There is significant bondo under a really nice paint job.
The cab is virtually rust free except for the cab supports that look like Swiss cheese.

Most of this I noticed at purchase and got fair concessions on price due to them.

The point is - all of this needs to be fixed before modifications to make the truck safe, reliable and comfortable.

First I''l tackle the NSS. Here are the tools needed - a 1/4" drive ratchet and 1/4" socket. The 3/8 adapter is just to make it easier to turn by hand when starting the bolts.

Name:  NSS tools.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  117.4 KB

Here are the old and new NSS.

Name:  NSS old new.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  110.5 KB

This is how the NSS was bypassed. Fairly common on old vehicles. But, come on, it's only a $20 part.

Name:  NSS bypass.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  55.9 KB

Here is where it's mounted. On the steering column near the firewall. It is a pain to get to but is possible. It is hell on an old guy like me.

Last step is to adjust it. The mounting is slotted so that it can be moved. Be sure that it will only start in Park or Neutral. Also check your back up lights are on when in reverse.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote