View Single Post
Old 08-30-2020, 08:26 PM   #16
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

I'm not even sure where to start...

Yesterday I decided to work on the frame where the bumper is attached. The end of the frame was cracked and pushed in a bit. Using an acetylene torch, hammer, and large screwdriver I got it back in place. Had to do a quick weld on the top and bottom to keep the other edge from folding when I banged on the inner edge.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the way this turned out. Still need to weld it together (long story coming soon) after I test fit the bumper.

This is the initial before and after shot where I got the bottom in place, but the top was still out of alignment.

And here is the completed top and bottom portion...

Then here comes the stupidity part. I was trying to change out my welding wire to 0.35 and I was having some issues getting it lined up properly. I cut the line and decided to start over. I turned on the welder and fed the wire out of the rollers, then I reached over and grabbed the wire to pull it out of the trigger, but FORGOT to turn off the welder. OUCH!

So, yeah, this happened. And to make it worse, the entire spool unraveled and I had to toss it.

Last weekend I finally decided to mess around with the stud welder I borrowed from a friend a while ago. The top left is the before pic; I had already put 3 rods on it when I remembered to take a pic. I made lots of holes, because practicing on scrap metal would be too easy, but I welded up the holes. It looks better in person but I think I did a decent job. Next will be some bondo to bring it back to shape.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote