View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 10:23 AM   #14
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: My Big Fat Renovation

So, the second meter kicked Duke Power into installing a new 25 whatever transformer to replace the 15 whatever... I can't remember the units they said. So me and my neighbor should be plenty good on power consumption.

They will also be installing the new line to the shop. The transformer and line were FINALLY something for "free" because of the new revenue stream.

So, my electric ended up costing an extra $1,100, a few of the things listed above we added when work started and the biggest kicker was we hit freaking rock after 2-3 feet.

I got a call at 9AM that they couldn't get the 8' ground rods in the ground. Great. I left work and went to help. I ended up renting a giant 50 pound jack hammer with a ground rod tip. Of course it managed it get one down 7' and no matter where we tried a second one, the best we could get was 4'. So we ended up running a heavier gauge ground wire over to the other side of the shop and was able to get two more in the ground at the correct depth and separations. I bought the extra materials and tool rental and did all the running around, which ended up being about $300, all the extra time (this should have taken 30 minutes, it took HOURS) and extra add-ons from above I agreed to pay them an extra $800. But it passed inspection, Duke has installed the transformer last week, and their scheduled to do the new line sometime this week, maybe next.

The shop also shows up on GIS now. The red square is where I'm plumbing the A/C too.
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 09-01-2020 at 10:28 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote