View Single Post
Old 09-01-2020, 11:52 AM   #13
SCOTI

Re: Hot Weather, Fuel Injection & 383 Stroker

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67c20 View Post
Been searching the posts in the hopes of finding a solution to my problem. Problem is its too damn hot in Tucson to drive my truck 8 months out of the year. I have a C20, with a 383 stroker, mild cam, 1406 Edlebrock, TH350, 3:73 rear, dual exhaust with factory manifolds and Entropy Dual HPX Fans. First off, not a carb tuning expert, but do have a vacuum gauge and have adjusted the carb and timing. In cooler weather the thing is a beast, so I think my carb tuning is close. However, whenever I go someplace and try to restart it takes a bit to fire up, which is probably due to the fuel boiling since I do not have a spacer. My basis for too hot, is primarily based on the fact that the radiator fans run not too long after I am running and gauge sits about about 200. Also the temp sensor is on the drivers side head.

Recently been talking about selling it to get something more modern, since we have been talking about getting another camper. So the wife was quizzing me and asking what it would take to eliminate my current issue. I mentioned that with a fuel injection system there is better fuel management, so that might help. Being the supportive wife she is, she said do it. Personally, i feel this is a trap and will cost me more later.

Doing my research and have narrowed it down to the Proflo 4 systems, so the question is for those that have installed one, have you experienced a cooler running motor? Of course this question is not limited to just the ProFlo guys. Also looking for any other suggestions. Thanks
I'll add that temp probes will read higher @ the cylinder head vs. @ the intake/radiator (within the cooling systems loop of flow). So, 200° @ the head is prob about right w/a 180° thermostat.

What I'm reading suggests that everything is great as long as the temps are cooler (temp outside in your area; not the trucks)? How close are the exhaust tubes to the starter? Can you put some sort of heat barrier between to see if there's a possible improvement? What is the base timing & timing @ full advance?

What I would do is make a list of the current concerns & try some of the simple tricks being suggested. Update the impact if any, on the list & we should be able to zero in especially as a group.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote