View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 12:17 AM   #9
Ptjsk

Re: What brand of hydraulic roller lifters is good for Chevy 454

Within the last one year, I have had two motors rebuilt.

One is a '67 427/435 Corvette motor. Yes, I know they're extremely rare and many of them are cloned. Fortunately, this one is real and still has the original "JE" code letters on the block.

Anyway, went with a Comp cam (hydraulic roller), and Comp hydraulic roller lifters.

After several hours of attempting to identify the tapping noise, and the ability to literally "push down" on the rocker arms, I finally had to bite the truth and replace the entire hydraulic roller lifters.

Second motor is a 454. A 70's era 4 bolt main motor. The motor builder went with Comp cams (hydraulic roller), and the Comp hydraulic roller.

Due to the problems I had with the 427, I wasn't about to put it into my car until I ran it on an engine stand.

Set up the motor, started right up. After running for a few minutes, we would hear a scraping sound. Shut it off. Checked the inside of the valve covers to ensure there was adequate space. Started the motor again and more scraping sounds.

Finally decided to take off the intake manifold to see what we could find. Once again, Comp hydraulic roller caused me problems. It actually ground a cam lobe. I thought this wasn't possible to flatten a cam lobe with a hydraulic roller set-up, but I'm here to tell you that isn't always the case.

Had to order a new cam and went with a Howard Cam.

The engine builder took apart the hydraulic roller lifter and found that it was actually missing at least two, if not three of the needle bearings. They didn't fall out, they simply were not installed when building the lifter.

That said.....I will never purchase a cam, or a lifter set from Comp Cams. I will spend the extra money (up front), and purchase an ISKY, or a Howards set-up.

Google search problems with Comp Cams and Comp Roller Lifters, and you will find several problems with them.

Pat
Ptjsk is offline   Reply With Quote