View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #29
short&wide65

Re: Slowly Slowing Board

I joined my first forum in my 20's back in the late 90's. Now I'm in my 40's and I have seen a decline in most of the forums I am on as well.

I hate Facebook. I was on it for a few years but deleted my account 4 years ago. Its algorithms have ruined society and turned us against each other and I don't just mean politically but in all facets of life. For example, there are some Fords I like and some import cars I like but according to some I should only like Chevys and the rest are garbage. Tribalism will be the downfall of us all.

Unfortunately, I organize some autocross events and needed to be on it to answer questions and promote events since Facebook is where the people are. So I've back on for almost 2 years with a "ghost account" which means I have no friends and only am involved in a handful of groups. That's it.

The one issue I do find with forums, and it's certainly not just this forum, is that it's hard to find people building trucks/cars similar to mine. Don't get me wrong, I like the diversity and love seeing everyone's projects and trucks whether it's stock or modded. There is some fantastic information on the history of these trucks on here.

But I'm building a Pro-Touring truck and it can be hard to find answers to the questions I need. So when I try searching for something specific, I get a lot of information that while interesting, doesn't help me at all. So I will admit Facebook and Instagram are more targeted in that regard.