View Single Post
Old 09-09-2020, 05:27 PM   #25
Beach-Burban

Re: ???Coolant Temperature Sending Unit???

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
Did the big blocks come with any sort of fan shroud? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the old adage is that if you're running hot while driving, you have radiator issues, but if you run hot in traffic, you have fan issues?

I know my Corvette has a shroud, and the depth the fan sticks into the shroud is very specific and has a big impact on airflow through the radiator.

If there was no shroud for the big block trucks, I would definitely start looking into an electric fan set up with shroud that covers the entire radiator. I'm running a similar set up, although mine now has an LS motor, so its not comparable.
Good first question, Greg...mine has a nicely sized shroud that fits the radiator well, but the original owner pulled the big block set-up out of a brand new 1989 1 ton truck to replace the original 350...so I can't really say for sure? (first picture)

I have been told the same adage, and I was running hot both while driving and while in traffic...but before my cooling issues began, the temperature only slightly raised while in traffic which was most likely the fan clutch not locking-up under hot conditions (but it's replaced now?). With the new radiator having more tubes and more fins, I'm sure it is more difficult for the fan to pull air through it, which is why I had such good results when I sealed the gaps between the shroud and radiator. My fan is a factory 7 blade in perfect shape and well sized for the shroud and fan clutch...but knowing how far the fan should be riding in or out of the shroud is unknown to me. I have read that "universally" half in and half out is correct? I have also read that other vehicles came from the factory with the back edge of fan just peeking out? In the second picture, you can just barely see that mine only peeks out...and other than getting the Hayden "short shaft" fan clutch (which moves the unit closer to the water pump by about an inch), I don't know what to do (as I already have a "short" water pump). Problem is that Hayden says the short shaft fan clutch is not right for my set-up as it's only Heavy Duty instead of Severe Duty. I could (and maybe will) buy it anyway to see if it possibly makes a difference...but that wouldn't happen anytime soon.

An electric fan set-up is most likely in the works for the Beach-Burban, but it will be a pusher type to supplement the puller clutch fan. That will probably help move air through the A/C condenser as well...and I do plan on getting the A/C working (which is another reason I'm not quite settled on accepting 190 as my normal) but for now, I plan to drive it as is...and we are leaving for San Diego on Friday!

Thanks for the input!

Woody

Name:  IMG_1811.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  67.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1812.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  55.0 KB
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote