View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #5
kipps

Re: double-pinning a sealed terminal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
A lot of the factory splices were done with open barrel splice clips similar to these --> https://www.newark.com/amp-te-connec...imp/dp/86W4585

They were usually soldered after crimping. I've also seen some that appear as though the wires were simply twisted tight together and then soldered. And if it's in a location that could be exposed to water, seal it up with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.
That's EXACTLY the kind of thing I was looking for! I just had no idea what to search for. I assume I can crimp them in place with the same crimper tool I use for the terminals?

I've heard solder both recommended and condemned. Some say it guarantees the permanence of the crimped connection. Others say it makes the wire brittle, and causes early failure. What's your view?
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote