Thread: 4L80 damaged
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2020, 10:38 PM   #11
HAULIN' IT

Re: 4L80 damaged

adzints, After reading through all of this, I'm having trouble with several things you have mentioned. Now I must say...I'm not a transmission expert by ANY means or really have all that much knowledge about them, but I do have some knowledge about some of what you are dealing with. Unfortunately I think you are either being given incorrect information or misunderstanding what you are being told.
Some things just don't add up...the transmission output shaft endplay should never be controlled/limited by the input shaft of the T-case.
Are you using some sort of aftermarket T-case input shaft (female instead of factory male) with an adapter/mount like Advance Adapters & others sell to swap a 4L80 in front of a 205? Use a 2wd trans, take off the tailshaft housing/extension & cut a couple inches off of the output shaft?

Also, I feel Richard is "Right on" with his thinking. The manufacturers as far back as I can recall (mid -60's) moved the speedometer input from the transmission (2wd) to the transfer case (4wd) on the trucks because they must have felt there was value in the speedometer working correctly in Lo range...why wouldn't one want the computer that will be trying to shift the transmission knowing the true speed, after all it is an input to the computer?
Just like he is thinking: "Hey, it works. Who uses Lo range much anyway?" must be the mind-set of the aftermarket suppliers.
Please respond as to how this pair is hooked together & maybe we can get you some help. Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote