View Single Post
Old 09-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #87
SCOTI

Re: better ride quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Not unless shocks are bottoming out. The dampening is linear in most shocks. Meaning they do not change dampening rate as they compress or extend. I ran stock length shocks on my 94 with a 6/8 drop no problems for years. IMHO best way to measure shocks is to remove spring and set suspension on stops. Get a shock that has a compressed length slightly shorter. For street driven dropped vehicles I have found the extended length does not really matter much. In fact I have seen problems where "drop shocks" were installed and it made the ride bad because of limiting down travel. Topping out the shocks, not allowing suspension to follow the road. One thing I think is often overlooked by many is that a shock mounted at an angle is not moving 1 to 1 with the suspension.
I had issues w/my '90 single-cab swb. The rear was dropped w/a flip kit, shackles, & lower shock extension brackets. The rears tires cupped severely in less than a year. I looked into the lengths & found the shock basically couldn't compress (angle plus shock length). I swapped the stock replacement length shocks for some G-body shocks (slightly shorter & similar mounting arrangement). Put fresh tires on & no more cupping issues.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote