View Single Post
Old 09-29-2020, 01:42 AM   #41
SkidmoreGarage

Re: Skidmore '67 C20

I didn't get any photos of the a-pillar job. It was a lot of prep of the rusty a-pillar, trim and test fit, tack, hammer, pry, weld, grind, and weld, and grind...

You know how it is when you are behind where you want to be, and just want to move on to the next part. I'll attach a photo of it done.

The next job I really didn't enjoy, which was to grind back all of my mig welds. It took hours of out of position grinding with many different implements to get it respectable. I found some porous welds and had to re-weld some spots, but overall it looked really good. I used my finger sander with 36 grit 3m belts to do the sections that were detailed or hard to reach. If you don't have one, I highly recommend picking one up. They are very efficient at removing mig welds and not touching the surround area. The can also contour when an angle grinder and flap disc can't.

I then did another round of rust treatment to the cab floor, applied my seam sealer to the passenger cab floor and my butt welds (SEM heavy body seam sealer). When this dried, I used 2 part epoxy primer to seal it all up. I prepped the surface with red scotch-brite, wax and grease remover, and did two coats.

The goal of doing this partial prime was to get ready to apply the outer rocker. Once it is welded in, I won't be able to get anything inside the rockers, and I don't want this thing to rust. Did I mention that already?
Attached Images

SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote