View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 12:42 PM   #10
weq92f

Re: Shipping prices are nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I wanted to buy a set of Hella headlights from Summit yesterday, but Summit's price for 2 was 95.20 (no free shipping) and Amazon's was $84 and change... shipping included (with the Prime account). Businesses that want to compete are going to have to come up with a better business model.
I've often run into this same issue...fortunately for me I have big retailers close by...Summit is only a 45 minute drive. So sometimes I can choose convenience over value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
That shipping and "handling" fee is suspect. Just how much "handling" does it take to prep something to be shipped, well besides slapping a label on a box or envelope?
You got that right Boog...Lately it seems it's just another markup line item that everybody likes to just add on as profit. I purchased an item off eBay recently that was local to me ( nearby, in the same city ). Before I won the item, I contacted the seller and negotiated via email/ebay-messages that I would do a local pickup and he agreed.

Once I was ready to go pickup the item ( a set of surround speakers $160 ) I called the guy on the phone to confirm everything and he couldn't understand why I wasn't willing to pay shipping. He kept trying to explain that the shipping costs were noted in the eBay listing and so that was the deal. I then kept replying that I was picking up the item, there was NO SHIPPING costs involved!

I did not pay shipping!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote