View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #19
Missyblue

Re: Pulling an engine/tranny out of a van advice...I know someone has done it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
if you're gonna be building a new driveshaft anyway, it is a great idea to keep the entire driveshaft system from the donor for parts, end yokes etc, and then remove the front yoke from the donor shaft and slip it into the trans to keep the dirt out. wire or tape it in there. plug the trans vent as well as cap the trans cooler lines or connect them together with some hose before washing everything. castrol superclean works great for an engine cleaner but don't leave it on the aluminum or rubber parts too long. if using the engine as is, with no overhaul, I suggest to do the valve seals, front main seal, rear main seal and valve cover gaskets while it is out. easier than doing it later. if the trans is off maybe consider doing the torque converter seal(s) too. that's all up to you though.
Thank you for the tips. Supposedly the engine is a crate with only 30k but super messy from leak so hard to tell so I'll definitly check out that Castrol super clean you suggested. We talked about the valve cover seals and spark plugs but not the others you suggested so I'll ask my dad what we can do. He knows a bit I'm learning everything new haha. The transmission is still connected so not sure about disconnecting but will ponder......
And I did bag the end of the transmission but I'll see if I can remove the yoke like you suggested. I did plan to keep the driveshaft and see if it could be shortened. It's in good shape. We also cut the exhaust just befo re the cat so I can maybe use that section to get started. He said aftermarket stuff leaks and the original is always best fit haha
He also suggested trying to keep my radiator and fan shroud as it's in really good shape but I know it's too long for my core.support so not sure if I can fab something or better of just getting something else?
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote