View Single Post
Old 10-09-2020, 11:06 PM   #34
RustyPile

Re: 72 Sierra Grande wiring - still at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblock50 View Post
LockDoc - I'll try the jumper tomorrow, forgot about that option. The NSS switch itself is good/new but the detent Park position in the transmission is well-worn and loose. You have to hunt a bit to set the NSS.

One question, though. If I test the purple wire contacts with the dual connector detached from the NSS, which result should I see with the ignition switch in the "on" position?

(a) Both contacts cold
(b) One contact hot, one cold

In my test today I got result (a).
Let's review just how the start circuit works.. Starting at the ignition switch - the "big" red wire feeds power to the ignition switch directly from the battery.. It's "hot" all the time.. Turn the ignition switch to "ON" and the red wire feeding the HEI becomes hot.. The purple wire coming from the ignition switch is hot ONLY in the start position.. That purple wire feeds power through the NSS to the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid.. The NSS is a simple off/on safety device.. It prevents power being applied to the purple wire going to the starter solenoid unless the transmission is in either PARK or NEUTRAL..

So to answer your question -- Neither of the purple wires are hot with the ignition switch in the ON position..

If your shift linkage has a lot of slack and wear, you're gonna have one heck of a time getting the NSS adjusted properly..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote