View Single Post
Old 10-11-2020, 07:00 PM   #32
dmjlambert

Re: Getting up the nerve to tackle A/C, need to remove the old

Original Air said if I sent the box back to them, they still would not take the rivets out, and they would make a thick closed cell foam seal and put it on the door. I did not want that, because if you have a look at how the evaporator housing is made, you can see all the air goes through a small opening. I measured the tunnel that all the air must pass through. 3-3/16 X 3-3/8 inches. I do not want that reduced by adding about 7/8 inch of foam just to make up for the door not closing all the way. Adding the door thickness, the width of the tunnel would be reduced to about 2-3/16. 30% air flow restriction, that is not something for me! I want the door to the heater core closing all the way shut and getting completely out of the way of all the air movement.

When the day comes for me to do the rsgt blower enhancement, I don't want any restriction of air flow.

Original Air did not really want the evaporator box back to work on it some more anyway. I showed them lots of pictures and explained my case, and told them I don't think the job was complete, they agreed it should not have left their shop in that condition. I suggested a partial refund, and was pleased that they agreed, and the check is in the mail supposedly.

So, I'm not completely unhappy with Original Air and I would do some business with them again. F.A.A.benny may be a better guy to send these evaporator boxes to. Whoever gets the job I do think expectations need to be understood in advance. Need to be clear on what complete disassembly means (that is a feature of Original Air's restoration they put on their website, and it was explained to me on the phone), make sure they aren't scared about drilling out just a few rivets, and a shop like theirs really needs to have rubber material on hand, or order some rubber off eBay if they need some. Of course, now that I have this much experience with this evaporator box, I think I would just do the next one myself.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote