Thread: Frankentruck
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2020, 11:13 AM   #616
cwcarpenter98

Re: Frankentruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCajun View Post
Regarding your problem with the overdrive solenoid seal leaking, I was wondering if you have changed both the shaft seal in the solenoid and the one in the body of the overdrive unit.

If so, where did you source your seals, and how difficult was it to replace the one in the solenoid?

Regards,
I've replaced the seal in the transmission case, but either I did it wrong, or I need both seals for it to be effective. The seal I used is SKF 3050. Apparently, it is only a seal that can be obtained online. None of the chain parts stores sell it. The other option is a National seal, but I tried that and it was not successful either. The SKF seal seems to be a better quality seal, but I am uncertain if I installed it correctly or not.
Unfortunately, the seal part on the solenoid is not serviceable. Mine is damaged, and the contact points are starting to get worn fairly bad, so I plan on sending it off to get rebuilt probably in the spring. I do have a second solenoid that seems to have a good seal on the unit itself, so I might try swapping that in and seeing if the leak continues.

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote