View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #15
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Re: Made the Call-Hagerty

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I guess the must be kept in a locked garage requirement is all about the theft coverage. So that affects all of us, including those who live where that is not such a concern. I know of plenty of damage done on classic vehicles while parked in that lockable garage. And if a big tree comes down on the building it's coming down on the vehicle. Buildings have their own insurance risks, too.
It's actually not a "requirement" anymore. I noticed storage location/type is an option on their website. The last time I talked with an agent I asked about it. They said that they now allow outdoor storage in areas with low auto theft and low chance of extreme weather. For example, he said they will not allow/cover outdoor storage in most of Colorado because of a high hail risk. Or in areas where there's a moderate chance, your premium could be high. And I'd imagine because of auto theft not having a garage in LA would be a no no as well.

Hagerty has changed A LOT. When I first signed up like 8 years ago, indoor storage was a requirement, they would not insure anyone under 25, the vehicle could be used ONLY for recreation (their website now actually states occasional drives to work are acceptable), and a few other things that are now no longer requirements.

Edit. So I googled worst cities for autotheft thinking Detroit would be high up there. No. Bakersfield CA was #1. Greenville SC was #55 and Spartanburg SC (just up the road a bit) was #65. Guess I need to keep a better eye on my stuff. Detroit was way down at #91.

This article is actually very recent:

https://www.insurance.com/auto-insur...ar-thefts.html
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 10-29-2020 at 09:44 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote