View Single Post
Old 10-29-2020, 08:12 PM   #21
swissarmychainsaw

Re: Burban Tailgate - how to raise window with dead motor?

Ok so here's where we are.

I tested the "Tailgate Keyed Switch" using a multimeter, and it tests OK.

I put power to both terminals of the electric Tailgate window motor and it turns both directions.

Today I dug into the wiring to see what was up. There *should be constant power from the Bat-tree to the "Tailgate Keyed Switch" on the Orange/blackstripe wire to the switch. There is none.

I unwrapped the wires in the Tailgate and they looked ok. So under the truck I went to see if I can a connection all the way up.

I traced the wires out of the Tailgate to the underside of the burb. Right away I found this:

I find the other side in the frame rail:

But there is no power there either. I thought I had a cheap win on my hands.
Nope.

So I follow this up the frame rail...

Until I get to the firewall. So far so good, everything seems intact.

No onto the INSIDE of the cab.
Right above the fuse panel I found ANOTHER plug, unplugged. This was the same Trio of Brown/Orange/Blue. Also no power at THIS plug. Sorry no pic.

I then PULL THE DASH.
Hyep.

So anyway.
Now I can see what's going on. Sorta.
I follow the three wires wrapped in a harness to a Tee - there is a small red wire also unplugged. The Tee Splits, to the switch, and to what I believe is a relay.

I pull the Dash Switch.

Test it using the Multimeter: It works

Switch Wiring - Red goes from switch to Relay, Blue and Brown go all the way back to the Tailgate.

So what is weird is how this set up GETS power from the fuse panel. No wires connect to the panel (or elsewhere) to get power. Just that thin red wire that I believe should be plugged into the fuse panel.

How do I test the relay? And why would the relay have such a little wire delivering 12 volts to the relay.
IS that actually a relay?
swissarmychainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote