View Single Post
Old 10-30-2020, 11:50 PM   #25
Boog
laying low

Re: Have you ever done something really dumb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
A long time ago, back during our college years, my young wife and I were broke living on the cheap so I was always fixing $hit rather than replacing.

BTW, I got married at 19, she was 18 ( BING BING BING: DUMB, DUMB DUMB ).

So the clothes dryer heating element stops working...with new part in hand I've got the thing on the floor, rear panel removed accessing the area to replace the element.

After installing the new element I decided to plug the 220 source into the wall and flick it on as a test just to see/make sure it's working!!!! It doesn't work. I can see that it isn't heating up. So I start this cycle of unplugging from wall, jacking with the new element, plugging into wall and test. Then repeat as necessary.

Shortly thereafter, probably distracted, I went into that dryer with my tools/screwdriver to R&R the element ( and other components ) having not unplugged it from the wall. The resulting arc vaporized a large chunk off the tip of the screwdriver.

Oh yeah...that qualifies.

-klb
That brings up a memory. Newly wedded, I replaced the dryer cord and got two wires crossed. It dried clothes but you could not touch it as long as it was running.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote