Thread: 55.2-59 camaro clip crooked?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #11
joedoh

Re: camaro clip crooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
There does not appear to be much, if any cylinder head offset from side to side on a BBC.

there is the same difference on a big block chevy, and really this will be on almost every V engine no matter what make or model or size, V2 V4 V6 V8 V10 V12 ford chevy dodge toyota from the inception of the V engine to current production.

its because the rod end journals cant occupy the same space on the crank, so one rod journal will ALWAYS be behind the other, so the opposing cylinders will be offset that width of the journal. you can see it in the picture I posted of the sbc intake, and here is a bbc intake for comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
A lot of cars have the engine offset towards the passenger side to allow more clearance for the steering column and steering gear.
this is true but isnt what he is talking about. all the other advice he is getting in the thread is also true but isnt why he started it.

he is thinking his clip is crooked because the passenger valve cover is closer to the firewall than the drivers. this is an inherent offset of a V engine, all of them have it.

instead of measuring for crooked from the firewall/valve covers, which on stock TF looks to have a recess for this offset, I told him the parting line on the engine/trans is perpendicular to the centerline of the engine, and to use it. it wont be perfect because the engine mounts will have a little wiggle room in them, but if you look down from the front edge of the cowl seam which SHOULD be perpendicular to the centerline of the frame (again, there could be wiggle room for body mounts) at the parting line of the trans it may bbe enough to pull him down from the ceiling thinking the clip is crooked.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote