View Single Post
Old 11-02-2020, 01:57 AM   #5
mr48chev

Re: Safer Builds: A reference thread

The hoods aren't an issue on AD trucks as they would go around rather than through the windshield. I'm not sure that is an issue on any Full size Chevy truck up though 87 at least.

Seat mounting and seat belt mounting is a big issue, I've seen some pretty sketchy work on both at times. One was lag screws going though just the floor layer to hold the seat in place on a rig I bought for parts after it was wrecked. It wasn't all that bad of a wreck just bending up the nose where it had hit something in line with the right headlight but the screws were pulled out of the floor. The radiator was in the fan and the frame was tweaked a bit. Great parts donor for what I wanted the parts for though.

I'm not a fan of high backs in old rigs but after the wreck in the GSI that may change. I would have had a severe neck injury if not for that head rest. I think the ones on the seats I plan to use will pop out and could come out at shows where "the look" is a big deal.

Dual piston master cylinders and split brake systems, That is a safety thing. I'd say most everyone on here has had at least one experience with a single mastercylinder rig have brake failure and a story to tell because of it. I was 17 the first time it happened to me and was driving a 55 Nash Metropolitan ragtop. I aimed that little bugger between the back bumper of the car ahead of me and an early 50's Chevy at the curb and got a little scrape on my rear quarter and donated a little bit of green paint to the Chevy's bumper bolt. I got out of town using my emergency brake to stop and taking back streets with no traffic. I promptly pulled all four wheels and rebuilt all four wheel cylinders on it with cups from Napa and my little brother learned how to pump brakes to bleed them. That was one of my lessons in defensive driving that has stuck with me for the past 56 years, always know where your escape route is.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote