View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
Missyblue

Re: please explain power steering components

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
you will unbolt the rag joint and there will be a DD end under it.

then its a matter of getting the right size DD u joint, should be 1" at the bottom of the column shaft, the u joint will be one size on the one side and either the same size or a different type on other side. I recommend a 1" DD to 3/4" DD u joint for right off the column.

then you will need a piece of 3/4" DD shaft.

then at the steering rack you will need a 3/4" DD ujoint with the other side splined to match your rack.

prepare for some sticker shock, u joints arent cheap, and being cheap on steering (or brakes) is a stupid way to die anyway.

if thats all you need then great, but my advice is to get the motor and especially the exhaust manifolds on. I just did steering on a 53 for a guy and it took a double u joint, a regular u joint, two heims, two chunks of 3/4" DD and another u joint at the rack to snake around the exhaust. it was over $400 in parts.
Ok thank you. I'm hoping my column isnt too long. With the length of the extension to the rag its 38 inches but we will see. (Wonder if it can be shortened &#129300 I am planning to set my engine 1st and we left the donor exhaust manifold and pipe so hopefully that will give me an idea. Just planning ahead for next steps haha. But thanks for the heads up
Missyblue is offline   Reply With Quote