View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 09:43 PM   #18
fishmunger

Re: Help me troubleshoot my temp gauge please!

OK, so today I was finally able to run some tests. After going thru this thread and the other one, I checked a few things.

1) On the sender itself, I had 790 ohms of resistance from the wiring connection post to the sender body. This sounds a little on the high side, but not the source of the problem, as this being high would keep my gauge pegged on cold, not hot? I have the opposite problem, pegged on hot.

2) The sender itself is grounded appropriately. There is a little, but not much resistance to ground from the sender body to the frame.

3) With the green wire disconnected from the sender, and disconnected from the gauge cluster, I get an 'open line' - no path to ground. If I reconnect the wire to the sender, I then get 790 ohms when I probe the terminal at the dash plug end of the wire. This leads me to believe that the wiring between the dash and sender is OK, and not shorted as I initially suspected.

4) Using an extra set of jumper wires from the battery terminals to the gauge posts, I am able to manipulate the gauge back and forth from pegged hot to pegged cold. I think this suggests the gauge itself is good?

5) From the top terminal of the gauge cluster to the bottom terminal, I get about ~190 ohms of resistance. I think others have gotten similar numbers, so I believe this means the resistor is good?

What should I check next?? Should I order a new gauge circuit board, or take mine off and clean it and put it back? Kinda of at a loss as to why this thing is not working.
fishmunger is offline   Reply With Quote