View Single Post
Old 11-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #37
Boog
laying low

Re: safety chains and the laws

As far as a properly latched ball and socket coupler goes even they can come loose. There is an adjustment on at least some of the couplers, maybe all, to tighten them up. There is a nut on the bottom side of the socket to close or open up the jaws on some of them. We all know using the wrong ball and coupler can lead to separation such as a 1 7/8" ball in a 2" coupler. It will hold for a while but can pop off at any time. The same can happen using the correct size ball in a loose coupler. Matt's events look like worn or loose couplers. The first one I saw he had a side by side hanging off the rear of his trailer as he moved his Jeep to get a better angle then with the weight being mostly on the rear of the trailer it just easily lifted off the ball and that was in the sand. The second one Matt was pulling the empty trailer up the rocks when the trailer just popped loose and rolled down hill and slammed into a rock. Working his rigs in all that sand I imagine he has wear on the ball and or socket and just needs to tighten it up some. As mentioned being a towing company operator he should know the dangers of NOT using safety chains and I cannot think of any good reason not to. Anyone?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote