View Single Post
Old 12-01-2020, 12:26 PM   #9
neirfin

Re: Replaced timing chain and gears, same amount of chain slack

As for the reason to check the timing chain, it would occasionally miss at idle, and the balancer was worn through (you could see it wobble at low idle, but run smoother as the RPM go up). Just figured since i had taken it down to that point, might as well check it all.

So... both sets are Cloyes, the one (inverted tooth i believe) is the single row, and it is very loose. The second Cloyes option (both from oreilly) is the double row, two rows of teeth, but the website says it is a 'non-roller' chain.

I put on the second set (was $2 more) and it fits perfectly, no slack... maybe oreilly has the description wrong or something. I am not very familiar with all of the types of chains and applications, but it doesnt make much sense that it fits this well and the first (both are made to fit per the website) has so much slack... somewhere i read that some chains come pre-stretched but couldnt find anyhting about that for tehse two parts...

First (that had too much slack) was the c3001K and the second (that fits perfect) is c3023k.
neirfin is offline   Reply With Quote