View Single Post
Old 12-10-2020, 09:08 PM   #69
Father&son56project

Re: Project Fargolet

Wow! First off, a big thanks to all the members who have given input on this build thread, as well as in the S10 swap thread. It's great to have extra eyes (and brains) assisting me. I have continued playing around with different battery locations, and can honestly admit it has been kinda fun. Here’s where I’m at:

Tempest67: I tried that spot where the fender, inner fender and firewall meet, but the Fargo cab is so sharply tapered that there is just not enough room there (I had planned on doing exactly what you did with the battery. It looks great and provides easy access there on the AD trucks). My heater hoses are also in that area, and the old Mopar heater I have is actually affixed to the firewall by threaded tubes that come out those 2 heater hose holes. I posted about this in the S10 swap thread, and I received a couple of great photos from MiraclePieCo and some good info about relocation from Joedoh.

G&R’s57GMC: I’m glad you mentioned possible driveshaft interference. I thought I had plenty of clearance but after reading your comment I went back and double checked. Guess who forgot that an S10 drive shaft has a 4 inch diameter? After some more careful measurements, I determined that there is room, but not much. The battery will clear the shaft when the rear axle first contacts the bump stop, but only by about an inch. The position I showed in the photo may not be the best. While it will just clear the axle, it’s not by much and it limits me to that particular size of battery. If I move it further back (behind the axle) I have all the room in the world to play with. The advantages of this spot are an easy to build battery box, and bags of space. The disadvantages are expensive cables and the need to build an access hatch. Here’s the better spot:

Dsraven: Thanks for those ideas and links. There are some great pics there, and I will use them to inspire me to cobble something up (see below!). As for your question about my fan mounting brackets, the pics don't show it well, but there is actually a gap between those brackets and the rad fins. The brackets are made from fairly sturdy material, but only a test will reveal whether or not they flex and allow contact with the fins. Once that big electric fan kicks in, so will Newton’s third law of motion, and the brackets will want to move towards the rad. If they do, a layer of foam or rubber will come. And thanks for the comments about the shop. It’s a treat to work in a decent sized shop for a change. My last 3 builds were done in my attached garage in suburbia, and that was challenging.

Edgeleycanuck: There is insufficient room behind the seat for a battery. Also, I am trying to use everything possible from the S10 and buy only what I can’t scrounge or fab myself, so the Optimas are a no-go for me. I can see why people like them though, as they can be mounted sideways, upside down, etc. This opens up a world of spots to stick them into!

Speaking of places to stick a battery, when I was looking at the spot suggested by Tempest67, I looked down and realized that there is an enormous, empty space at the trailing end of those giant front fenders. I grabbed my cardboard “battery”, and started to play around:

I realized that even a giant battery would easily fit, and could face any direction I wanted, so I grabbed a fender and tossed it on (these trucks are so simple to assemble!):

This location is interesting. Access is good. I could easily reach in to get a wrench where those side terminal bolts would be, and I would be able to use the stock battery cables (they reach!). I would just need a mounting plate (super easy as the frame is right there), as well as a shield to protect the battery from gravel and water (mostly from gravel, as this thing won’t see water unless I get caught in an unexpected rainstorm). Now I’m scratching my head, wondering “in the fender or under the bed?”

As always, feel free to point out stuff that I’ve overlooked!
Father&son56project is offline   Reply With Quote