View Single Post
Old 12-20-2020, 12:05 AM   #11
ThreeQuarter

Re: Engine Timing Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
When the #1 piston is at top dead center. on the compression stroke (just after the intake valve closes) the balancer mark should be exactly at zero on the timing tab.
Yep, this appears to be the case for my engine. I've checked for TDC by using a piece of wire as a lever with one end in the plug hole. Everything I've checked says that my timing mark & tab agree with the rest of the engine at TDC. Mechanically speaking, everything agrees. But when I run the engine, it requires gobs of advanced timing to be happy.

PGSigns, thanks, that wiki is where I've gotten some of my info. I haven't found anything on that page that points to my problem. If anything, it confirms my situation doesn't add up because it says 1) all SBC cranks have a keyway aligned with #1, and 2) my damper is right for my timing tab. I and a local hot rod shop have both found TDC and we both think the marks agree with TDC, but you're right: getting a hard stop would be more precise.

Al, thanks for the document--very informative and the kind of explanation I have been needing to find. However, given that the ported vacuum port on my carb does not pull any vacuum at idle and it's disconnected while I'm setting timing, I am not sure how that could be contributing to my issue. Feel free to spell it out if I'm missing something.
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote