Thread: 55.2-59 Flexplate rabbit hole
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #5
1project2many

Re: Flexplate rabbit hole

[quote]Ok it seems there can be multiple answers to this scenario. I’m asking about both the FP and the starter I guess, but it’s almost like i can go either way as long as I get a matching set.
Yes, but there are limited options.

Quote:
The 153 tooth flex plate will use the straight across bolt pattern with one long one short bolt.
You probably realize this, but starterman99 is referring to the starter. The correct starter for the 153 tooth flexplate will have two bolts inline, one long bolt and one short bolt.

Quote:
The 168 tooth uses the offset bolt pattern and 2 long bolts.
If I happen to call this a truck starter it's from years in the dealership... Shout out "Truck starter for smallblock" to the parts guy would usually get one that worked in a pickup.

Although you can sometimes drill a second set of converter holes in a flexplate, It's best if you get a flexplate with pre-drilled holes for the torque converter. Many aftermarket flexplates have two converter patterns. With the one below you'd use the inner holes.

Quote:
Is there any reason to go with either a 153 or 168 and their respective starter options?
Probably not.

Sometimes it can be tougher to find a 168T flexplate with dual converter patterns. 168T flexplates do have a little more rotating mass... very minor. Sometimes the bolt holes for the starter aren't always threaded in the block (check first) which forces you to use one or the other starter and sometimes a bellhousing doesn't accept the 168T starter or flexplate (700R4 should be no problem). For higher compression engines the 168T gives more mechanical advantage when cranking but there are starters today that will crank anything short of a diesel with just one battery. And sometimes a particular starter doesn't play well with manifolds or headers or an oil pan.

For your application I'd probably favor the 153 unless something prevented it.

Last edited by 1project2many; 12-30-2020 at 12:51 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote