View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 10:40 AM   #1369
special-K
Special Order

Re: Random Photos ‘You took’

Nice bike. I've gotten back into bikes lately. I built an early version of what came to be known as the mountain bike from a late-40s balloon tire bike in the late-70s. Schwinn came out with their version and I got one of those. I'm getting both of those in shape for riding. The Schwinn just needed some servicing and the custom-built was 100% original as built. I was torn whether to leave it be or restore. I decided on no restoration but put it into riding condition... cables, tubes, & tires. I want to build more like that from some frames I have, but use more updated components like disc brakes.

When MTBs came about I bought a Raleigh. That was pretty good but possibly the first city bike. Things weren't ironed out in the MTB world yet and Raleigh being the traditional bike company it was, that bike was a "Mountain Tour" model. The bikes for thrashing came about and I got a Mountain Klein (#54). To this day that is my "new" MTB... 37 years old! I'd like to get a new bike but maybe not. I'm fine with what I have. I would like to change the gearing on my Mt Klein, though.

I built that "Klunker" over 40 years ago. The tires had been rotten for a long time. I got new tires and tubes, went to replace and was amazed at the condition of the tubes. Seeing that, and the Made In USA, I decided to keep running the old tubes and keep the Chinese crap for spares. Those will probably be dry rotted in the boxes when it comes time to need one
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote