View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 05:39 PM   #77
T-P Auto

Re: New Project 57 Chevy panel on 78 chevy frame

Hello;

Once I get to the black fender(P51) I will clean both side to clean metal-learned something;
I'm useing a flux core wire feed- had not cleaned both side on the other fender.
Will use a lot more gap clamps(P51) when I do weld the fender in - hope the new setting will give me a better weld.
Will look into getting a copper pipe for backing on the fender welding.
Pick up a 3' grinder from HF for grinding on the weld - had been use a 4.5 grinder. Have been use a hammer n dolly on the weld area.
Still have to do the 4-link on the rear end to frame - just not there yet.
I'm going to cut the old(yellow) cab off all the way back to the ridge in the floor. (pic) this is the panel cab.
I found that I have a floor mount right under the area I'm going to cut out - will have to do some triming around the cab mount. (pic)
Will brace the top.door openings the side to side with 1' sq tube on the panel truck then do the same on the red cab.
The red cab (new) will become the cab area for the panel truck. (pic)
I have to replace the whole front cab area to save money n time.
I will take a couple of pic of the door opening - windshield opening - then fill in with measurements to go by when replacing the cab area. (no pic)
I have ordered NEW door hinge pins,strikers n latchs for both doors- with a NEW set of door keys for both doors.
Will work out the fire wall once I get the cab removed n reinstalled.
I'm using the front frame from a 78 chevy 1/2 ton po with the rear frame from a 50 chevy 1/2 ton truck- flatter frame then the 78 pu. The rear end will be out of a 95 chevy pu. Will put 4-link with coil overs on the rear. The wheel base will be 117" from center to center of the wheels.
So here are the pic to help show what I have to do.
Attached Images

T-P Auto is offline   Reply With Quote