theastronaut

Re: '88 F*rd Festiva Autocross/Track/Daily Driver Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Wow.....you've been busy..!!
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Ashley View Post
I didn't know you could still buy a running and driving car for $450 dollars. The wheels and tires look great, it's going to look good when you work your magic on it.
Thanks, I literally registered it and put a new soft top on it and it was ready to drive. It's crazy how cheap Capris are. I did have to put a water pump on it about 200 miles into driving it, it started leaking. Went ahead and did the cam/crank seals and timing belt while I was at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty76 View Post
You were talking about using the RIO crank. Are the Festiva and RIO motors the same? I’m just curious because I’m noticing some patterns here. It seems the Miata, RIO and Festiva see to be close relatives. Nice work and info as usual.
They're not all the same but similar. Mazda originally designed the Festiva for Ford, and Ford had Kia build the models that were sold it the US. The drivetrain was based on existing Mazda B-series engines used in the 323 and was built and assembled by Mazda in Japan, but Kia continued to use various Mazda B-based engines and random mechanical parts even after Festiva production was over. Early Miata 1.6 DOHC engines are the same block/head/internals as Mazda 323 GT/GTX and Capri, the Miata had different external parts since it was RWD. Festiva has a 1.3 version of the SOHC 1.6 323 engine, the bore is different and the head has different sized ports but it's basically identical except for the bore size. It's a direct bolt in upgrade for a Festiva. Rio's have an updated version of the 1.6 DOHC engine, the crank dimensions are the same and the block is mostly the same with an updated head. The 02-05ish Rio's still used steering racks that interchange with Festiva racks, we adapt the Kia front strut mounts to Festivas since they have bearings instead of bushings so it steers easier. The 1.5 and 1.6 early 2000's Rio engines either are Mazda engines, or have a lot in common with Mazda engines, so some of those parts interchange directly with Festiva/Capri engines. The Capri/Miata engine has the same stroke as the Festiva engine, as does the Rio crank and all of the flywheels/harmonic dampers, etc will interchange. I think the rod length is different on Festiva/Rio and Capri/Miata so I went with the Rio crank and rods to get the double throw couterweights with rods that fit the Festiva block and pistons. It makes for really good parts availability and a lot of parts to choose from for upgrades, and it's all dirt cheap since its so common. The DOHC parts are pretty stout too since the engine was originally developed for rally use in the 323 GTX.

Last edited by theastronaut; 01-12-2021 at 04:31 PM.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote