Thread: mini starters
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #8
BigTopGT

Re: mini starters

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm9c1 View Post
Go to your local auto parts store (ie: Advance) and order the following "over the counter" starter: For a 153 tooth flywheel and the straight bolt pattern starter, get the Corvette starter from a 1995 5.7L Corvette (Advance P/N 17124). That's if you have a 153 tooth flywheel and the straight bolt pattern starter. If you have a 168 tooth flywheel and the staggered bolt pattern starter, get the starter for a 2003 Silverado 3500 8.1L (P/N 17420). They are both Nippon-Denso style mini-starters, easy to get over the counter, and last forever, with a lifetime warranty. Usually around $118. Luckily GM stayed consistent with bolt patterns over all of those years. You can play the same games with Mopars as well, for example I stuck a modern Dodge Dakota starter (also Nippon-Denso style) on my '69 Charger. Again, Chrysler kept the same bolt and teeth pattern for 40 years. Little tricks to save you some money, get a better starter, have a lifetime warranty.
So, I've got the 17420 starter in my 71 and it's great for a bunch of reasons. (started on the first hit of the key)

What didn't work however, were the stock bolts from the OG starter. (too short by about 3/4 of an inch)

Anyone know of a resource for OEM bolts that are slightly longer than the 1971 Factory bolts?

Will the bolts from the 2003 8.1 work?
BigTopGT is offline   Reply With Quote