View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 08:28 PM   #38
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Are sleepers still a thing?

I used to do a fair bit of street racing.

Honestly what ended being my favorite "sleeper" was built on accident. I had a 73 brand f 3/4 ton camper special rclb. I got it knowing it needed a motor for $400, and built the 460 it had like a recent Car-Craft article at the time. The engine was in the 450hp/500tq range, and sure ran like it. I originally used the headers, and turbo muffler it had when I got it. Man did it drone me out for what ever reason. I never had a engine do that to me before or even close. I found 4 magnaflow mufflers cheap somehow. These were the type that looked like over grown glass packs, but 2" in diameter. So I modified the header so the collector was longer, then into a 3" to 2" Y, and then a muffler on each leg with a turn down.

Most people thought it was a well built 302, and occasionally the others said 351. That is till I floored it, and it made some real noise.

After getting feed back on what engine I had from people. I redid the engines paint to make it look more stock. Especially the intake manifold which was new aluminum. On a pick a part trip I found some large factory air cleaner that I cleaned up, and put a factory 302 sticker on.

On a very good run it could hustle 12.8 in the quarter, but it usually was in the 13-13.2 range. If I remembered the times right. This was 20 years ago.

My favorite line alot people used to say was man that is a big 302.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote