View Single Post
Old 01-15-2021, 01:54 AM   #1
conoco

Front diff dana 44 yoke removal and seal install

Could some please run me through the proper way to replace the oil seal behind my differential. I have read so many things and mostly it refers to the fana 44 on Jeeps which I dont know if it is the same for my truck. I have pulled the drive line and I am going to replace the ujoints just because they are old and would be nice to do. I wasnt sure if there are any special tools I need, if so I can get them tomorrow. Here is the process I was going to use but decided to stop and ask before I mess something up.
1 Remove drive line ujoints
2 Chisel Mark's so I know how everything came off and I can reset it.
Pull yoke nut, I tried but was unable to, my impact gun isnt strong enough and wasnt sure if I should use a breaker bar to get it loose. I have read conflicting things on that.
3 once nut is off use a pool puller to get the yoke off,
4 change seal ( I got this part down)
5 reinstall yoke
6 set nut to the Mark's I made before taking it off and go an 1/8 past the marks.
7 done.

My question are
Do I need to raise the front end to do this
Should I check preload before I take everything off.
Is it a good idea to use a breaker bar to get the nut off

Any help running me through the process would be greatly appreciated. I feel pretty dumb asking about something that seems pretty strait forward. I guess I just couldnt pull the trigger after reading all the stuff online about guys really screwing things up for a number of reason. Just though I would ask before I'm a statistic lol. Thank you everyone.
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote