View Single Post
Old 01-19-2021, 03:44 PM   #7
sick472

Re: Trying to do the logical thing.

The benefits to an OD transmission (in general) are lower rpms at the motor which means less wear on the motor, less noise, and better gas mileage. If you have the time and money...most people like the OD upgrade. I have converted a car to a 5 speed manual and really like it, but it was not necessary. The previous auto OD conversion that was in it was a problem. I could not keep it from burning up the clutches, but I cannot speak about the 700 (My car was a F@rd BTW).

Rich - I have only researched OD transmission upgrades to a small degree and most say that the 3.73 gears are very good and are as low (numerically) as you should go with the occasional person saying they like ones at the 3.5 range. 3.73 and 4.10/4.11 are the most popular. Too low, like 3.08's, and the motor will lug down once it gets into 4th. 4th gear likes a higher motor RPM, certainly above 1500 and 3.08's just don't cut it. If you do the math or run the online calculators, you find that highway speeds with numerically low rear gears will drive the motor just above idle in 4th...just not enough horsepower at that rpm to keep the vehicle moving along with out downshifting excessively.

Back to CJ - My 72 C10 has had every opportunity to get the OD conversion, but I am staying simple and affordable and sticking with the th400 and 3.08's (for now). If the 3.08's are too wuss for me...I'll go the the 3.73's and drive bit slower on the highway.

It's all about desire, time, and money!

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote