View Single Post
Old 01-29-2021, 08:57 PM   #1
jocko

Weirdest combo of unrelated symptoms.. (ps fluid and batt)

So, I hadn't driven my 01 2500HD for about 2 weeks, but when I last parked it in the barn, everything was just fine - it's a very low mileage 8.1/Allison. Went into the barn tonight for something and saw what looked like an oil leak puddled just inside and forward of the driver's side tire (i.e. in a spot where it couldn't be engine oil). So I clicked the unlock button on the key fob - nothing happened. Which isn't uncommon, figured the fob batt in was dead. So unlocked the door with the key, popped the hood and find the leak is ps fluid - it's being forced out of the fill tube and dripping down onto the floor (after messing up everything in its path). I go to loosen the cap and the system is actually pressurized (feels like trying to open a hot radiator). Anyway, slowly relieve the pressure, lose a little more fluid and remove the cap. It's full to the very top. Hmm. Now, this truck is in a locked barn and hasn't moved in 2 weeks and was 100% when I parked it. So I'm thinkin air bubble, want to start it and see if I can bleed it out of there moving the steering wheel back and forth - so put the cap back on. Jump in, turn the key - zero, I mean not even a click. Check my batt with a volt meter, not just low, but 0.0V. Hmm. Batt is about 3+ year sold, so ok, could just be its time has come.. Anyway, that's where the saga ended, gotta run to the parts store and trade in the batt when I get a chance so I can start it and then figure out the ps issue. Hopefully it was just the batt's time to die and nothing more insidious, ha, I hate electrical gremlins.. And I am assuming these two totally separate weird symptoms are unrelated, but what a weird coincidence.

Anyway, has anyone ever heard of a ps reservoir suddenly overflowing for no apparent reason? That's a new one on me. Have read a few theories of possible water in the system and then when it gets "cold" it freezes at the low point of the system, yada yada, but it hasn't even been below 32F here in a long time. Interested in anyone's thoughts until I can get a new battery and do a little troubleshooting?
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote