View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 10:00 PM   #222
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Don't know what you guys go through for front brake hoses, but this has been a ride. Something I've introduced at least six pair of hoses. Two sets were custom.

By the first few store-bought pair I realized they don't retail the correct fitting at the crossmember bracket. That and the 13" appeared too short, one rubbed the LH ball joint but cleared the RH side no issues.

So I read 16" is the answer for a 2.5" drop, had them made with the correct fitting at the bracket. Not even close, well too long. So I asked the guy to shorten, came home and realized he used the wrong bracket fitting this time and too long again. At any rate, I found some that work at Kragens, a new store, closest my house

They too are 13"so it dawned on me the bends from the caliper fitting on three former retail weren't quite right, go figure. I suppose you can adjust the angle at the caliper somewhat, but seems to me that's not the intent of the caliper assembly.

I ended up torqueing the banjo bolts to 22.5 ft lb as a happy medium-ish. Read 22, 71 manual says 25, but try finding 71 caliper fittings, they're not the same and nor are the calipers. I installed the later calipers anyway. The hoses and calipers were changed in 72 or 73, not sure which year.

The replacement hose clears the RH ball joint at all turns, though full in or out it's close. Unlike former retail LH hoses, the hose clears the LH ball joint by inches. Slack is adequate on both.

13.5"-14" brake hoses would be ideal IMO, know of any?
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote