View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 10:08 PM   #748
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

I finally was able to complete a little project I started months ago on the WMB. I relocated the Gearvendor auto/manual switch and the indicator lights. The first photo shows where they got stuck (literally with double sided tape) during the installation of the GV unit. They got moved over slightly as I kept bumping it with my shin. The other reason for the redo is the indicator lights are too bright at night. After some head scratching I came up with a nice out of the way location where the lights won't be pointed straight at my eyes.
I decided to put all 3 components in the ashtray so I could operate the switch without opening the ashtray and the lights would shine downwards so I would only see the reflection during the day and just a soft glow at night.
I laid out the 3 holes and drilled them before cutting 3 sides around them with a dremel. Then I bent the tab so the switch was angled for easy operation with one finger from under the the ashtray face plate. Bending the tab also made the switch sit flatter (More space inside) and it moved the switch lever up out of sight.
I used 5 mm LEDs with surface mount adapters. The adapters were metric and I did not have the perfect drill bit so they ended up a bit loose. But a couple drops of super glue seemed to lock them down nice and secure.
I failed to get any pictures of how I wired the LEDs. But basically there is a 470 resistor soldered inline with positive lead of each one. All the leads are protected by heat shrink tubing. (Photo #3) Also not shown are the crimp terminals I put on the ends of the leads to allow me to plug them directly into the GV connectors.
And the final result.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote