View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 08:11 PM   #4
AcampoDave

Re: 1972 C20 4-speed Header/Manifold Question

I think the longevity of ceramic depends on the outfit who does it. The local machine shop guy sent a a pair out for me to get a black ceramic ( this was a long time ago) and the durability was very poor. They burned to a powdery silver looking color in the middle and just continued to deteriorate from there. At least now a person can research these outfits on the internet and get reviews.
If your looking to make 'em silver on a low budget, Rustoleum cold galvanizing compound in a spray can lasts a really long time.

I think part of the reason my ceramic didn't hold up well (way back when) was because I really didn't understand how to properly set up a distributor. There is a good chance my motor was running with insufficient advance likely caused by wornout junkyard HEI. Perhaps, the elevated exhaust temps associated with that were just too much for it. Good thing the internet came along and some of you (ahem) senior street rodders were able to school me on how to properly set up a SBC distributor.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 02-03-2021 at 08:17 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote