View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #9
95Z24A4

Re: Power Brakes, What have you guys used?

Quote:
Originally Posted by popstand View Post
Yes, the bracket bolted to firewall and to lower flange of dash. Like it was made for it. Bought all new clutch actuated starter safety switch and brake light switch parts from Camaro Central. All looks nice and neat, like factory. Nothing cobbled.

Not sure what the photo is, just a reference for swing pedals. Maybe mine is ’74.

No modifications to install column. Clamped right in place. See previous photo. Column as I remember is a chevy van auto trans circa 1970, which is a smaller tilt column. Didn’t want a fat one like later and passenger car. Steering wheel came with it which looks like a pickup, so maybe column was a pickup. No changes to column other than filling shifter hole because my truck is floor shift manual. Truck has a ’79 Camaro/Nova subframe. I did modify the intermediate shaft connecting the column to the power gear - shortened, and eliminated the cush thing, did keep orig GM rag joint coupling to gear.

Maybe should't post so many photos here. Any rules?
Thanks for the additional photos and explanation! Your pedals appear to be 1969-1974 pedals. The clutch pedal arm on 1975-1979 assemblies is attached with a nut and the brake pedal is a little larger than the clutch pedal. I attached photos of both for reference. I'm glad to hear yours is a 1974 pedal. I believe I have found a set of those. The 1975-1979 seem extremely rare and fetch absurd prices when a set does become available.

The Chevy van column does appear to bolt in. I have my eye on a 1970 truck column at a fair price. It's a non-tilt floor shift column. I also found a 1968 column for twice the price of the 1968 column. I prefer the 68 steering wheel to the 1969-1972 steering wheel, but the 1968 wheel has several cracks in the usual places.

I really want to mount my original crack-free 1953 Chevy 3600 steering wheel on the 1968-1972 column. Until I get my hands on one of those columns, I won't know for sure. Did you try to fit your original steering wheel on the van column?

Can you post a photo looking straight at the pedals hanging below the dash? I would like a photo of the relative position of the brake pedal pad to the steering column and gas pedal.

What are you using for a gas pedal? I'm installing a GM NV4500 in my 3600 behind a Chevy 292. I may have to enlarge the tunnel near the fire wall and consequently slide the gas pedal to the left a bit.

Thanks for all your help!
Attached Images

Last edited by 95Z24A4; 02-06-2021 at 10:29 AM.
95Z24A4 is offline   Reply With Quote