View Single Post
Old 07-10-2004, 08:03 AM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Goodmark sells body parts that General Motors has "blessed" with their Restoration Parts logo. I don't honestly know if that means that the parts are "equal to or better than OEM", or if they are simply allowing Goodmark to use the GM logo in reference to the parts.

Different posts have been made, and responses given, to the quality of aftermarket parts. I don't know if all Goodmark body parts are made in Taiwan, or if some are made elsewhere.

I bought a tailgate for another vehicle ('83 Ford F-100) that was made in Taiwan. I transferred all of the parts from an old tailgate and it fit and worked like I thought it should.

I think we have expectations that any new body part we purchase, will fit, i.e., all the holes will line up and the seams will be "perfect", based on what we have come to expect in new vehicles we buy....propagated by the Japanese quality that we see in body fit and finish. It just doesn't happen like that. The fit has to be tweaked and shimmed and adjusted until it is like we want it to be. I am guessing that aggravates some people and colors their opinion of the aftermarket parts.

I was stationed on the Island of Taiwan, in '68-69. I had a 90cc Honda that I had modified. All of the plastic that was standard on the bike, was remade in steel. I had new fenders made for it. The tank was newly made as was the seat. When it was finished, it looked a lot like a cafe racer, which was a bit different back then. The point in saying this, is that the Taiwanese had the talent to remake all those parts out of steel, and that includes the speedometer/headlight housing, that had been made of plastic. I added weight to the bike, in doing that, but they sure looked nice in chrome!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote